Saturday, February 02, 2008

Silent Poetry Reading

Ok, this is a slight cheat. it's the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. but those start out as poetry, don't they?

A long time ago when the Earth was green
There were more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
They'd run around free while the Earth was being born
But the loveliest of them all was the unicorn
There were...
{Refrain}
Green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn

Now the Lord saw some sinning, and it gave him pain
And he said, "Stand back, I'm gonna make it rain"
He said, "Hey, brother Noah, I'll tell you what to do
Build me a floating zoo

And take some of them...
{Refrain}
...Don't you forget my unicorn

Old Noah was there to answer the call
He finished up making the ark just as the rain started to fall
He marched in the animals two by two
And he called out as they went through

"Hey Lord, I got your"...
{Refrain}
...But Lord, I'm so forlorn / I just can't see no unicorns

Then Noah looked out through the driving rain
The unicorns were hiding, playing silly games
Kicking and splashing while the rain was pouring
Oh them silly unicorns

There were green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees

Noah cried, "Close the door, for the rain is pouring
And we just can't wait for no unicorns"
And then the ark started moving, it drifted with the tide
The unicorns looked up from the rocks and they cried
And the waters came down and started floating them away
That's why you've never seen a unicorn to this day

You'll see...
{Refrain}
...You're never gonna see no unicorns

(i've got me irish up)

5 comments:

Ina said...

I started reading slowly and solemnly (poetry day will do that), then busted out laughing! Thanks for that excellent surprise.

Sarabeth said...

I used to sing that song while mildly drunk in an Irish bar called McQuire's. We even did hand motions. Thanks for the memories.

Snarled Yarns said...

I recognise this! shel silverstien!

Anonymous said...

It really did start out as poetry, like SY said by Shel Silverstein. Nice choice! =)

Trixie said...

oh my!!! must teach Dare!
(and I know that pub, HP!)